Monday, March 9, 2009

Jerusalem - Continued

The remainder of the weekend would be a hard act to follow after our foray into archeological exploration. We had found ourselves a great taxi driver, Jameel aka Gimi (his spelling). We returned from the dig to continue our adventure on foot, but assured Gimi we would call in the morning for Shabbat transportation.












I knew there were a few stops that were “musts”. The Mahaneh Yehuda Market, often referred to as the 'Shuk', is the largest outdoor marketplace in central Jerusalem. It takes up a whole small neighborhood, between Yafo and Aggripas streets. The fresh fruits and vegetables always provide Kodak moments, but in addition one can purchase baked goods, fish, meat, prepared food, spices, clothing and shoes, house wares, textiles and even Judaica. Here is one stop shopping! I was in search of the spice stand and the halvah stand, and my general sense of direction did not fail me.












The twin towers of paprika at my favorite spice booth were easy to spot.












I found only one halvah booth when I was at the shuk last year and loved the shredded halvah.

We planned a rendezvous with friends at the Wall and were hoping to see the dancing that often precedes the beginning of Shabbat. On this day it was not to be. I was still suffering with a bad back and was taking ibuprofen around the clock. The down side was that I could fall asleep wherever I sat down. My friends took advantage – at least I wasn’t drooling (but I was out cold).



Awakening from my nap, I looked around and was ever so surprised to find my cousin Nancy and Howard and grandson, William standing in the plaza. Jerusalem is a small place! I had tried to reach them in vain and was very excited that are paths were crossing!



Mr Bill had an opportunity to enjoy the Wall (from the women’s side) too. Unfortunately, no black hat or suit for him.



Saturday morning brought another beautiful day and off we went to the Israel Museum. Public transportation shuts down on the Sabbath, but Gimi was available and at our service! The museum is under construction and the permanent exhibits are closed but the Shrine of the Book and the Model of the Second Temple were open.

I was quite fascinated with the design of this exhibit last year and it did not disappoint on the replay. The Shrine of the Book is the home of the Dead Sea Scrolls and other exceptional exceptional manuscripts. The building consists of a black basalt wall and striking white dome. The juxtaposition of the color: black and white, and the shapes: rectangular and dome shaped, create a stunning effect. The white dome covers a structure that is two-thirds below ground with a reflecting pool that surrounds it. These opposing geometrical shapes create a monumental effect moving from darkness to light.

The Israel Museum is also home to an accurate model of Jerusalem in the late Second Temple Period. The model is to scale and provides a birds’ eye view of a bygone era. This link is a fabulous virtual tour of the model:
http://www.imj.org.il/panavision/jerusalem_model_index.html

And Big Cousin is watching! Once again, I spotted cousin Nancy, Howard and William wandering around the museum grounds. (The white dome is in the background.)



Gimi was waiting for us when we left the museum and decided that we should have lunch at the Ein Kerem Village. It was a picture perfect day and the village was a “happening” place. Gimi has an “inside” connection and easily secured a table for us.



We opted for a walk around the ultra-orthodox neighborhood, Mea Shearim. Being respectful of Shabbat, I didn’t take any pictures until we were outside the gated area. This favorite photo credit belongs to Patsy Kart!



As the sun set on Shabbat, Jerusalem comes alive. We headed to Joy, one of my favorite restaurants in the German Colony. (Patsy knows the owner.) You know the expression, "third time is the charm"? Patsy leaned over the table and whispered to me: "you will not believe who just walked in!" Sure enough, my cousins were following me around Jerusalem. Another kodak moment as they dined with their cantor and family.



We returned to the Beer Sheva the following morning and resumed working in the warehouse by mid-day. As each day brings something new –

The adventure continues…

No comments: