Monday, March 16, 2009

Friends and Family

After an overnight at Hotel Adiv, I was heading north to Ramat Hasharon, just north of Tel Aviv. I would be spending the weekend with Cara, Asaf, Mia and Ya’ir Kobrovsky.


Cara is the daughter of my assistant principal and friend, Jean Nixon. Travel was much easier this year as I knew how to negotiate the city on public transportation. #10 bus to Arlozoroff Bus Station, transfer to the Train Station @ Savidor Mercaz and take the train to Herzliyya. Bingo – I got it!

Rainy weather had the city moving at a snail’s pace, but the trains are an “on time” mode of transportation. Seeing Cara at the train station almost felt like I hadn’t been gone for a year. I had spent a fair amount of time with them last year when I was traveling in Israel.


I was warmly welcomed by 5 year old Mia, younger brother Ya’ir and Asaf. Mia was excited about my visit and shared with her teacher that "Joanne was coming to visit"! Ya’ir had just celebrated his 3rd birthday and had his first haircut. He was all little boy!
It was great to hang out at the house with the kids; I was ready for some R & R.




Asaf, always the barrister, still makes a great cappuccino! Shabbat dinner would be at home as Asaf’s parents were unexpectedly going away for the weekend. The good new for us was that dinner had already been cooked and we picked it up at the house. Just like going to Whole Foods for take-out, but tastier!












It was a laid back weekend of doing wash (thank you, thank you, Cara), eating and playing with the kids.Ya'ir was entertaining himself and us with pencils in his toes.



My third floor “suite” has been converted into storage space after there was a major flood in the basement/Asaf’s office. I was staying in the guest room, next door to the kids. I loved it. Being an early morning person, I felt little eyes peering into the room, and saw little fingers around the door. Mia climbed into bed with me for early morning reading ; moments later Ya’ir joined us. Unfortunately, no was else was up to catch the Kodak moment. It was priceless! Mia was working very diligently on her English and much to my surprise, Ya’ir was trying to speak English with me as well; when necessary, Mia translated!

The rain (with thunder and lightning) was much needed in the country. I had no complaints with just hanging out. Asaf’s parents returned from the Galilee (too much rain for his mother) by mid-day on Saturday. We returned the leftovers when we gathered for a family lunch. We spent the day watching movies. The Kobrovsky home is decorated with much of Asaf’s mother’s fused glass creations. I loved the monkeys in the bathroom and let Mr Bill meet some new friends.












Mia also took a liking to Mr Bill!













With clean clothes in my bag, great food in my stomach, and the kids delivered to school on Sunday morning,







I was heading south to the Negev for a visit on the kibbutz. Even with Cara’s help I still didn’t get the direct train to Beer Sheva and transferred again in Tel Aviv. The Central Bus Station in Beer Sheva is fairly easy to navigate. When I got to the ticket window, I had a flash from the past. There was a surly, non-English speaking agent at the window. He was not helpful this year and I remembered his similar demeanor form last year. With the translation assistance of a woman behind me, I purchased a round trip ticket to Ketura. When he handed me the ticket, he slammed his window closed. Obviously, I was slowing him up to get somewhere.



I made arrangements to meet Cailin Burke at coffee shop near gate 15 in the bus station. We chatted for the next hour, catching up on law school for her, med school graduation for Ezra, unknown residency placement, Israel travel for her mom and brother, and wedding bells in the future. She was wearing a beautiful new engagement ring! It was worth the stop.


I had hoped to miss the crush of soldiers traveling to/from the military bases on Sunday, but the bus was filled to overflowing in the afternoon. As the sun was setting in the west, the bus pulled over to the side of the road deep in the Negev, and I got off at Kibbutz Ketura. My cousin Seth was there to greet me.

A lot was happening on the kibbutz and Seth was deep into digging trenches and laying sewer lines for a new neighborhood.





That translates into learning to dig trenches and helping install manholes. There was no time for hikes or other adventures. I rolled up my sleeves and learned what I could and help as best as I could.
















The backhoe was a little nerve wracking - yes, that is me at the wheel in the cab! Seth was a very patient teacher.




Seth’s children were both celebrating birthdays on the same day: Shir was 12 and Asher was 9. Asher’s party would be at the house the following day and party planning was right up my alley!








Shir was greeted at breakfast with balloons; Asher’s friends gathered after school for games and rewards based on Webkins money that became Asher money on this day. Shir was a pro at running the games and keeping the kids very entertained.




All the Webkins were invited and came to the party.





It was a short visit and the following day I was heading back to Tel Aviv; unfortunately, that was not what my ticket said. Seth spent quite some time on the phone with Egged Bus Line. In summary, nothing they could do. My fingers were crossed that I would have a seat for the 2-½ hour ride to Beer Sheva.












I took myself on a tour of the kibbutz in the morning and allowed Seth to really get some work done! The cows were very happy; I met the vet who was doing routine exams and loved his mobile office. Mr Bill checked out the algae at the Arava Institute. One could not miss the banner on the fence noting that the interest in freeing Gilad Shalit is a national passion. The view of the mountains is really breathtaking.




The seat on the bus, unfortunately, was not to be. It was standing room only when I bid farewell to Seth.











I shared the rear stairwell with a young Korean traveler. We were very close by the end of the trip! My view from the floor was limited, but I could watch the clouds move!




My new friend and I traveled on to Tel Aviv together. The bus virtually emptied at Beer Sheva and we had seats for the 1-½ hour trip to Tel Aviv. We caught the #4 bus and I sent him on his way to find his destination of the Korean Volunteer office. Amazing that he was headed to the same area as the Adiv. More amazing that I could help him with directions!

Patsy was waiting for me at the hotel. If you’re going to traveling half way around the world, it’s great to stay at a hotel that feels like home and the Adiv fits the bill. We bought a bottle of wine and caught up on our respective adventures. This was Patsy’s last night in Israel and we were the welcoming committee for some mutual friends, Sylvia and Jack Borden, who were with us at Matzrap last year.

It’s so much fun to be the “official greeters”. We had a celebratory bottle of wine in the lobby. and then off to dinner to catch up in earnest. Pam Lazarus, the Sar-El coordinator for the volunteers, and her friend Szabo joined us at dinner.



I was excited that Jack and Sylvia were back. I love them like my parents! In their 80’s, they have been Sar-El volunteers for many years and have the energy of ever-ready bunnies.

With the sun shining the next day, I was thrilled that Jack and Sylvia wanted to join me on a walk to Jaffa.








The Tayelet is a paved beachside walkway, which provides a 1+ mile path between Tel Aviv and Jaffa. Since last year, the Promenade had been completed;



the swirly design can be seen from an airplane just before you land, when you fly into the Ben Gurion airport.

Just south of Tel Aviv, Jaffa is a beautiful city that is rich with historical and cultural significance. High on a hill, Jaffa’s strategic hilltop location, natural harbor and abundance of wells have been the variables that created a contested location dating back to Biblical times. Today, it is bustling with its integrated mix of Jewish and Arab citizens, who run an array of colorful markets, fine seafood restaurants and interesting little shops.


Jaffa has been a melting pot since the late 1800’s. Jews began resettling in 1840; by the end of the century, the birth of Zionism and anti-Jewish pogroms in Eastern Europe, had boatloads of immigrants arriving. The overcrowding in Jaffa encouraged some Jews to move out in 1886 and build a new neighborhood to the north, Neve Tzedek. This historic district became popular with artists and intellectuals and today is a sought after address.




The landmark clock tower in the center of Jaffa was built in 1906 to mark the 25th year of the Turkish Sultan Abdul Hamid II.

We continued walking through the narrow streets looking at the tiny shops along the way.



We stopped for beverages: gelato with espresso, nanno (mint tea) and cappucinno



and then caught the bus back to the hotel.

My walking tour continued later that evening as I headed to dinner in Neve Tzedek with Steve Schwartz, a friend of my sister’s college roommate. Liz Bien. We took a circuitous route and finally found our destination. The restaurant is in the building complex that includes the Suzanne Dellal Center.


Dinner at the restaurant, Bellini, was fabulous!





This complex is a fitting centerpiece to the Neve Tzedek neighborhood. The main building was originally a boys' school, built early in the 20th century. During the War of Independence, the complex became a strategic center for the Haganah (the Jewish Army). The schools stayed open until the 1970s. In 1989, the complex was restored, and became the Suzanne Dellal Center for Dance and Theatre. It is one of Tel Aviv's premiere performance venues.

The following day, my sister Gail, a slew of cousins and my buddies from Sde Temain would all be converging at the Adiv.

The adventure continues…

No comments: