Thursday, February 5, 2009

My Misadventures Continue: Part 2 - February 2009

Who in their right mind wouldn't take the opportunity of an educational sabbatical and another 6 months of living simply (that is the effect of the 1/3 pay)? I don't know if the planning was off or if it was just a challenge, but this sabbatical got off to an unauspicious start.

Planning to leave the country 5 days after I stopped work falls into the category of"what was I thinking"? I was very stressed trying to finish up work at school and prepare my office for the ideal "seamless transition". And I managed. Sleep deprived with worry, I hope the new nurse can navigate the computer and flow of students. It is no longer my problem, as I am on sabbatical!

A predicted 1 - 3" snowfall on the night before my departure was actually a 6" dump that required my shoveling the driveway. It was an omen. An email from British Airways told me online check-in was ready; it really wasn't. The email should have read - your flight has been canceled. :( More time on the phone with a not so delightful agent and I was on a flight later in the day. Unfortunately this included a 12 hour "layover" at Heathrow and a 5:30am arrival in Tel Aviv on Friday.

So here I am in London. There is still snow on the ground; they handle the white stuff less efficiently than Philadelphia. It's very gray and very rainy today. The new Terminal 5 that British Airways opened sometime this past year has all the glitz and glam of a high end mall. Harrod's has a department store and the Duty Free shop goes on forever.








I'm beginning to believe that British Airways plans their flights so that passengers will be required to roam the terminal for hours. The variety of seating is amazing and it allows comfortable sleeping!








I've walked all the levels more than once, snapping pictures along the way. I was asked to leave a store that was no happy that I was photographing Liberty of London hankies(for women and men), which are a family favorite. I did manage to click this other photo, which is more telling - Is Britain Great?













The question will remain unanswered!










So, there are lots of places to shop; lots of electronics (Mr Bill is dwarfed by the sony screens)!"OH Nooooooooo - Will they be able to see me?"




This is what I've learned today. It is virtually impossible to talk your way into the British Airway lounges. No is No. I was very willing to pay for internet access today, knowing I would be here for 12 hours; however, when I was turned away from the lounge, I meandered down the escalator and found a comfy seat to log onto the computer. BINGO, I was still in range of the British Airway free WI-FI. I know my friend Wayne is so very proud!

The rest of the day will be deciding where to eat dinner - there are a plethora of restaruants: Zagat rated and not; sushi and a raw fish bar or perhaps some world food tasting.















So, as the techno problems start (I can't upload the any more pictures), I bid a fond farewell for the night. Cheerio from Heathrow!

And the adventure continues....

2 comments:

Dr. Joel said...

" U go GIRL" on the wings of angels!
Dr. Joel

Aria Fane said...

Jo Jo -

U.S. news via Facebook today:
Today February 8th: 2 rockets fired from Gaza hit Israel

Rocket hits southern Ashkelon in Israel (Source) (01:58PM 2/8/2009)

Rocket hits southern kibbutz (Source) (06:55AM 2/8/2009

I think this must be more action than you anticipated. Let us know you are OK.

xxoo
Aria