Saturday, May 31, 2008

The Falls (Read On… It Has More Than One Connotation)

Not one…Not two…Not Three…but Four. Count them – that’s how many times I fell on the return trip hiking down from the Hanakapi’ai Falls. More about this later.

Louise had the day off and we wanted to take advantage so we decided on a day’s hike to Hanakapi’ai Falls. We drove to the northern end of the island and managed to find a parking place, even though we did get a late start.

We planned for an 8-miler that would have 6 river crossings; a rest stop at a beach that was known to “take the lives “of those who chose to swim in it and end at the base of a 120 foot falls.

We started climbing from the get-go! There were lots of deep tree roots to climb over, although a most rocky uphill with enough muddy and slippery spots even though it was a dry day. The first real view of the coast was at “windy point” - it was beautiful.














Further along there was a crescent view of the beach.



Our first river crossing was a no-brainer – shoes off, slung around my neck! We took a break on the beach and had a snack to fortify ourselves for the climb to the falls.


From the beach, we leave the Kalalau Trail and take the “side trip” to the falls. We pass by the remnants of stonewalls, built with beautiful dark lava rocks. The area was once a coffee plantation and a tall chimney, presumably from the roaster, remains in tact.


We also passed an area dense with bamboo. In the 70’s the area was gentrified (if the word existed then) by hippies who took advantage of the bamboo and built lean-to’s in which to live.

The soil was black and particularly rich. The flowers, little bright pink puff balls, of the mountain apples were in full bloom At different points on the trail, there was a magenta carpet from the mountain apples tree whose flowers had fallen. The contrast in color was amazing.


Then the river crossings began in earnest. For me, shoes off with slow and careful foot placement. Back and forth the river many times until the large rock-to-rock crossing: here stood a strong young man who offered his hand! Shoes on – success! Chivalry is alive and well enroute to the falls. The upper trail was muddy and slick but the first glimpse of the falls was worth it…it was a WOW moment!











It was a spectacular falls, about 120 feet of falling water and pool. Success! Getting into the water was another story. The sun was already past peak, so the pool was in the shade. Think Atlantic Ocean on Memorial Day weekend. The initial gasp and “take your breath away” inhale was short lived; the water was crystal clear and felt soothing.

We dressed for the descent, and heading down after lunch on the rocks. Good fortune would have the camera stored in the waterproof camera bag in the backpack. Looking back one last time, we said goodbye to the falls. The first fall was a delicate ”oops” as I was holding on to a tree and sat down on the rock laughing (no biggie). The upper section of the trail was very muddy and very slick. The river crossings were the same for me – shoes off! When we returned to the site of the “chivalrous” crossing, we need to find a different place, as there was no one extended a helpful hand! The second “slip” was getting old for me – no injury, just dust myself off (or try to wipe off the wet dirt) and keep on trucking. On one of the river crossings, I found myself standing without my shoes on, on a large rock. I took another step. This rock was a “wobbler” – and as you might imagine, I was not able to balance myself before hitting the water. Louise grabbed my wrist, thinking I might head off down the river in the rapids! A head to toe check yielded the following: legs okay, butt okay, left wrist slightly tender (it might have been from Louise hanging on to me), and pride crushed! Oh yes, camera was well protected! In most cases, the third is the charm - particularly with a dump in the river!

We continued down through the carpet of mountain apple blossoms, the bamboo field and the old plantation, reaching the beach. I did the last river crossing tentatively, but successfully with my shoes off. We did watch a few hikers take the plunge and others successfully rock hop!

We headed down the trial as a “slow and steady” pace. Many hikers passing us more than once! I was being particularly careful of foot placement, as I felt I had done enough damage to myself for one day! Somewhere very close to the trail head, I remember saying “oh nooooooooo…”* as I heard a crack. I thought the sound were my glasses breaking, but it was my head on a rock. Ouch! Oh yea, this was the big one. With the assistance of two hikers behind us, I was assisted up and did the head to toe check: head – very large bump on forehead; alert and oriented – no loss of consciousness; left wrist very sore and abrasion on shoulder; left knee abrasion and very large bump on shin; glasses in one piece! The hikers cleaned my abrasion, gave me ibuprofen (nothing like taking drugs from a stranger) and walked closely behind me for the remainder of the hike. Thank you’s were given.

Louise and I took a quick dip at Ke’e Beach (no pictures, :( ), bought some ice and headed home. Now was the time for the nurse to heal herself with the help of her massage therapist cousin!

The following morning, I felt as though I had been beaten up. Although the discussion was mostly about “how my cousin tried to kill me on the way back from the falls”, I did want to that to be the title of this chapter of the blog. I had new rib the next day and spent most of the next days taking Motrin and applying ice. Each day has gotten better and I was able to increase my activity level resuming my previous active lifestyle. The beaches are beautiful, but sitting around gets boring!

*While in Israel, Mr Bill came up in discussion. When I was in Philadelphia, I spotted Mr Bill in a store. I thought it was one of those lucky convergences and purchased Mr Bill without thinking twice. He was lucky enough to come to Hawaii with me. At times, he avails himself as a useful prop!

And the adventure continues!

No comments: